Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Desk Redo


Over the past 8 years I have moved to a new apartment or state almost every year. From undergrad at Elon, to grad school at South Carolina, moving to Winston-Salem and now DC, some of my furniture has definitely taking a beating. Throughout the process I also decided it was time to be a "grown up" and get "big girl" furniture. However over the past 8 years the same Target children's department desk has stayed with me.
My beloved Target desk

My room has since been updated to not quite match the stark white desk furniture anymore.

This past summer my mom introduced me to the most amazing invention ever....Chalk paint. Chalk paint is a fabulous product that lets you paint with out any priming and on almost any surface. The best part is is it comes in adorable colors! Chalk paint can be a little $$$ but a little bit goes a long way! Annie Sloan and CeCe Caldwell are the two main manufacturers of the paint. So I decided rather than replacing the old desk that I would attempt my first painting project. With my mom's help we decided to pick CeCe Caldwell's paint in Nantucket Spray and Alaskan Tundra Green.


 I loved them both equally so she suggested layering the colors (genius!).  I put the Alaskan Tundra Green on first and the Nantucket Spray the next day. The best part was, it took less than 1/2 of a small jar for each layer! Lastly I had the difficult task of picking a new knob to go on the desk and voila!
I definitely will be investing in a new wicker basket that matches a little better. I also purchased this chair over the summer and plan on recovering it. This is where I need your help. I am clueless on what fabric to do that will coordinate with my floral headboard. Here are some thoughts:




 


Well thanks for reading my very first blog post! I'm taking a week off from work and heading home/Charleston tomorrow! Stay tuned for some major sewing projects!

-Abby

No comments:

Post a Comment